This page collects various images of Minneapolis City Hall & Hennepin County Courthouse
This early colorized postcard shows residential buildings and green space where Hennepin County Government Center now stands
This postcard from about 1910 shows approximately the same scene from the 4th Street side of the building
This view taken from the never used 5th Street Tower of City Hall & Courthouse shows the bell tower before the flagpole was installed. A stone finial takes its place. Note also the light streaming through the empty floors of the bell tower. Around 1980, these rooms became occupied for the first time by the city archive.
On December 12, 1913, Alexander Heine made the first airplane flight over Minneapolis, and our bell tower made an excellent backdrop.
This view from 1923 shows the area around City Hall was by this time entirely commercial and industrial.
Some photos courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society, mnhs.org.
Tower Bell Foundation 304 City Hall 350 S. 5th St. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55415
Return to the Main page